Would like to use Dropthings with Active Directory Users

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:11 AM
Edited Feb 21, 2008 at 9:13 AM
Hi,

Great project- I love it! I would like to implement this so that there is no anonymous user and users are identified by their Active Directory usernames. Basically with Windows Authentication. Can anyone point in the right direction of the steps I would need to take to modify applicable classes etc. as I'm getting mighty confused!

Many thanks,

Lilalfyalien
Mar 3, 2008 at 2:47 PM
Yes, great project! I would love to use this as our intranet portal. Could someone suggest how this would best leverage active directory.
Apr 10, 2008 at 7:03 AM
it is pretty straightforward actually, you can just use forms authentication, or windows auth, set the appropriate authentication settings inside web.config and you are done :)
Apr 16, 2008 at 2:32 PM
It is, you're right- I've done it now! When I've finished I'll blog it. In the meantime if anyone wants to know how- feel free to email me!
Developer
Sep 9, 2008 at 9:21 PM
Hey lilalfyalien,$0$0$0$0Could your post how you had setup the security for Active Directory Users in Dropthings$0$0$0$0$0Thanks,$0$0$0$0
Mar 16, 2010 at 1:10 AM
lilalfyalien wrote:
It is, you're right- I've done it now! When I've finished I'll blog it. In the meantime if anyone wants to know how- feel free to email me!

Hi lilalfyalien,

I would like to find out more on how did you managed to integrate Dropthings with Active Directory.

I have changed <authentication mode="Windows"> in web.config. It there anything else that I should set in web.config?

Noticed it create a new user account in dbo.aspnet_Users table, with the "Guest" role, upon loading the homepage. How can I set it to "RegisteredUser" role instead of "Guest"?

I tried to move the widgets around but it could not save the widgets' new position. On re-loading the page I still get the widgets on their previous position. This does not occur when I use <authentication mode="Forms">.

Hope you can share with me in more details on how did you managed to integrate Dropthings with Active Directory.

Thank you.

Albert.

May 28, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I know this is an old discussion, but I am trying use DropThings 2.1 as an intranet portal and would like to convert it to use Active Directory. I see a lot of posts from people who say this is really easy, but not a lot of detail on how to do it. Can someone provide me with exactly what needs to be changed? Thanks!

Keith

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:46 AM
Hello, can anyone post the instructions on how to configure Dropthings for Active Directory / Windows authentication?