Problem with database backup

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:58 PM
Hi, I am working on windows vista home premium notebook. I am having tough time restore database from .bak file. Could someone give me step by step process. I uninstalled and resinstalled SQL server 2005 on my notebook with no advantage. If run without using backup of the database, I get an error message "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)".
Apr 21, 2008 at 12:32 AM
Codesi,

What version of sqlserver 2005 are you using?

I use sqlserver 2005 express with advanced services on my laptop. I also downloaded the sqlexpress toolkit which has sqlserver management studio express and some other nice things. Management studio will allow you to install the database from a backup. Either way, what ever version you use you have to use the management studio to connect and restore the database from the backup. Well, there are other ways, but the management studio is easiest.

Here is a link you may find useful for getting the sqlserver express with advanced services and the toolkit:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/bb410792.aspx

Once you get the management studio installed, google for sqlserver restore database. You should find several pages from msdn that will help you get the backup restore to a database on your machine.

Hope that helps,
Jasper
Jul 10, 2008 at 10:27 PM
I seem to be having the same issue. I am using SQL Server 2005 Express with the management studio express and advanced services. I am getting access permissions issues. However, I am running the restore as an administrator.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Ryan
Jul 14, 2008 at 11:26 PM
I was running into the same issues, but I found an article that mentioned running the SQL Server Express engine as "Local System" instead of "Network Service". You can change the setting, by opening "SQL Server Configuration Manager", click the SQL Server 2005 Services node, right click the "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)" and choose properties, change the "Built-in Account" drop down to use Local System. Restart the SQL Server Service and you should be okay.
Jul 15, 2008 at 1:39 AM

Perfect! That solved my problem.
Thank you so much!

Ryan