problem restoring file to sql server 2005 professional edition

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:40 AM
I can't attach file to SQL Server Professional edition 2005. It gave me error that can't file .mdf file on the G:\ drive. While the G: drive is temporary drive. please help me.
Apr 29, 2008 at 3:27 PM
Edited Apr 29, 2008 at 3:28 PM
1. Open SQL Server 2005.
2. Go to Databases, choose to "Restore Database".
3. Left hand side, in General Tab, select Target and Source.
4. Left hand side, click the "Options". Change the path from "G:\...." to your own folders.

Click OK, it should be OK. :)
May 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM
I am having the same problem...it cannot find the file Dashboard.mdf.  It's not in the project files and I don't know what to point it to so that I can restore the database.

Help?
May 29, 2008 at 8:19 PM
The file to restore to SQL Server 2005 is dropthings.bak   
It is located under the Database folder.
May 30, 2008 at 12:38 PM
Yes, that's the file I'm using.  But when I attempt to restore, it tells me that it can't find dashboard.mdf.
Jun 2, 2008 at 4:17 PM
When restoring, click on options. You will see that the restore as path specifies  G:\Databases\Dashboard.mdf   for the database  and   G:\Databases\Dashboard_log.ldf  for the log file.
You need to change the path to wherever your Dashboard.mdf files are located, probably on your C:  drive.
Jun 2, 2008 at 5:11 PM
When restoring, click on options. You will see that the restore as path specifies  G:\Databases\Dashboard.mdf   for the database  and   G:\Databases\Dashboard_log.ldf  for the log file.
You need to change the path to wherever your Dashboard.mdf files are located, probably on your C:  drive.
Jun 3, 2008 at 5:42 PM
You really need to think about scripting database to sql file and give it as an option. Backup is just too dependent on server version, configuration, file location and many other things. Did not work for me on two different machines and, as I can see from forum posts, did not work for many others. Show stopper.
Jun 9, 2008 at 2:27 PM

merlinr wrote:

But this file doesn't exist--how could it?  I'm creating a brand new database!  What is this supposed to point to?
Jun 11, 2008 at 4:11 PM
I figured it out.  It was a minor detail but missed fairly easily.

The file name is dropthings.bak.  However, the restore only worked when the database was named "Dashboard".