Dropthings Needs Another Innovative Feature(s)

Jun 4, 2008 at 11:20 AM
Hello,

Good day to all of you!

First of all, I would like to thank everyone participated on www.Dropthings.com , for sure now one can deny it is a great work.

Second of all, truth to be told, Today I felt jealous so badly, and that is the reason why am posting here.
I have checked a website called Netvibes (www.Netvibes.com) and I have seen a very innovative feature which is drag and drop the TabPages, I truly wished with all my heart if this feature exist on Dropthings.

Is there any plan to implement this feature? I hope developers will get the courage to develop this feature and other features in order to enrich Dropthings.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Very Best Regards,
~Alex
Jun 4, 2008 at 5:26 PM
Edited Jun 4, 2008 at 5:26 PM
Hi Alex,

It is a fairly straight forward piece of functionality to implement, not sure though that it is actually contributing to the user experience, seems to be more of a gimmick to me than anything else.

Agree with your first point completely, congratualtions to all the guys that have contributed to this great project.

Regards,

Shaun
Jun 5, 2008 at 9:09 AM
Hi Shaun

Could you please do me a favor by giving me the piece of code in order to make the TabPages in Dropthings draggable like Netvibes?

I very much look forward to hearing again from you and from anyone would like to help.

Regards,
~Alex
Jun 5, 2008 at 11:20 AM
Hi Alex,

Will have a hack and see what I can come up with. Don't have the ability to submit into Source Control so will probally just give you the additional code lines that need to be put in.

Regards,

Shaun

alex9spain wrote:
Hi Shaun

Could you please do me a favor by giving me the piece of code in order to make the TabPages in Dropthings draggable like Netvibes?

I very much look forward to hearing again from you and from anyone would like to help.

Regards,
~Alex

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:31 PM
Hi Shaun,

I will be really grateful to you if you helped me in this issue.

-Alex
alex9spain@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:53 PM
Hi

The title of this thread attracted me to read it. After I read through, actually I agree with Shaun that this 'drag and drop' feature for the TabPage is kinda gimmick, but Shaun to tell you the thruth I am sure the users gonna like it. In fact seriously I am so curious and interested to see the TabPages with this drag and drop feature.

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:24 AM
Hi Guys,

Am working on it now... also implementing an AJAX Drag and Drop facility between Widgets adding the necessary handlers to the base Widget class.
Should have something up and running by the end of next week... unfortunately have a full time coding job getting in the way!

Shaun

walu wrote:
Hi

The title of this thread attracted me to read it. After I read through, actually I agree with Shaun that this 'drag and drop' feature for the TabPage is kinda gimmick, but Shaun to tell you the thruth I am sure the users gonna like it. In fact seriously I am so curious and interested to see the TabPages with this drag and drop feature.

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:35 AM
Hi Shaun

Thank you so much for your reply and I am so glad to hear that you are working on it and I am also so excited to see the these functionalities working.

Once again, Thanks.

~Alex
Jun 23, 2008 at 2:55 PM
Hi Alex

Since you are a fan of new features and you were charmed by Netvibes (www.Netvibes.com), I would like to share with you the source code of one of those features which is "Changing The Page Title".

Add the following inside the <body> of the Default/HomePage:

<span id="myTitle" style="display:inline;font-family:tahoma;font-size:18;font-weight:bold;" onClick="changeTitle()">
Type your page title here
</span>

<input type="text" id="myTxt" style="height:22px;font-family:tahoma;font-size:18;font-weight:bold;display:none;text-align:center" value="" onBlur="saveTitle()" onFocus="this.select();">

Then Add the following inside the <head> of the Default/HomePage:

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
function changeTitle()
{
               document.getElementById('myTitle').style.display="none";
               document.getElementById('myTxt').style.display="inline";
               document.getElementById('myTxt').focus();
               document.getElementById('myTxt').select();       

if(document.all)
     {       
      document.getElementById('myTxt').value=document.getElementById('myTitle').innerText;
     }

else
     {
       document.getElementById('myTxt').value=document.getElementById('myTitle').textContent;
     }
}

function saveTitle()
{
               document.getElementById('myTitle').style.display="inline";
               document.getElementById('myTxt').style.display="none";

if(document.all)
     {       
      document.getElementById('myTitle').innerText=document.getElementById('myTxt').value;
     }

else
     {
      document.getElementById('myTitle').textContent=document.getElementById('myTxt').value;
     }

//The new page title
     var newtitle = document.getElementById('myTxt').value;
}

</script>

Now your role is to connect this code with the user settings and make it work on the server side thus each user can save his/her own page title.

Finally, I hope soon we gonna hear from Shaun and he provide us the source code of Drag and Drop facility for the TabPages, am excited as well to try out this functionality on Dropthings.

Walu

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:04 PM
Hi Shaun,

Just sending a friendly post to see if you have any new/glad news to share with me regarding the drag and drop functions of TabPages?

I'm curious how things have progressed with you.

Any suggestion or help from anyone in this issue would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks a lot Walu for the nice feature you posted.

Hope all is well,

Best regards,
~Alex