Installation Instructions

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:39 PM
Does this only work with VS full edition and not express? Also, I downloaded the latest version (1.6.0) source code. It has no Dashboard.mdf. I has dropthings.bak in a "database" folder. It also has a trunk folder. In that I have the solution files. I assume that I have to use some sort of SVN (like Tortoise). Can you please post the installation instructions?
Jul 31, 2008 at 4:32 PM
I use VS full edition and not sure if express will work.
For best results I would suggest you use the SVN/Tortoise tool to download the lastest source code.
Once, downloaded I copy from my SVN location to my Inetpub. Below is the directory structure I have.

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\trunk\Dropthings
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\trunk\AjaxAsmxHandler
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\trunk\Components
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\trunk\CustomDragDrop
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\trunk\DashboardBusiness
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\trunk\DashboardDataAccess

Open the solution file in Visual Studio from  C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\trunk\Dropthings.sln

Create a new blank database using SQL Server 2005 and then use the dropthings.bak in a "database" folder to restore from.
You can call the database anything you want such as Dashboard.

Modify your connection setting in the web.config accordingly to connect to the database that you create.

The project works flawlessly for me.

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:43 PM
Though I have Tortoise, I am not very familiar with using Tortoise to get the latest source. Can you please step me thru' it.
Jul 31, 2008 at 7:12 PM
When I try to restore the DB, I get:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
------------------------------

Restore failed for Server 'ACER'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.3042.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Restore+Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: The backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing 'Dashboard' database. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.3042.00&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:31 AM
Create a brand new database, and when you choose to restore from the .bak, under options tell it overwrite the existing database.