It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level

Aug 4, 2008 at 1:24 PM
Description
I was getting this error when i tried to build it,

then i moved the web.config from the dropthings folder to trunk folder and now i am getting the errors
Error 1 Type expected C:\inetpub\wwwroot\trunk\Dropthings\App_Code\ExtensionFunctions.cs 24 30 C:\...\Dropthings\
Error 2 ; expected C:\inetpub\wwwroot\trunk\Dropthings\App_Code\ExtensionFunctions.cs 24 45 C:\...\Dropthings\
Error 3 Invalid token '(' in class, struct, or interface member declaration C:\inetpub\wwwroot\trunk\Dropthings\App_Code\ExtensionFunctions.cs 28 18 C:\...\Dropthings\
Error 4 Invalid token ')' in class, struct, or interface member declaration C:\inetpub\wwwroot\trunk\Dropthings\App_Code\ExtensionFunctions.cs 28 25 C:\...\Dropthings\
Error 5 Invalid token '(' in class, struct, or interface member declaration C:\inetpub\wwwroot\trunk\Dropthings\App_Code\ExtensionFunctions.cs 29 32 C:\...\Dropthings\
Error 6 Expected class, delegate, enum, interface, or struct C:\inetpub\wwwroot\trunk\Dropthings\App_Code\ExtensionFunctions.cs 32 19 C:\...\Dropthings\
Error 7 Type or namespace definition, or end-of-file expected C:\inetpub\wwwroot\trunk\Dropthings\App_Code\ExtensionFunctions.cs 36 1 C:\...\Dropthings\

can somebody please help me with this, i have just recently downloaded the source and i am owrking offline using VS 2008.

I am stuck plzz
Aug 4, 2008 at 2:00 PM
I suggest you download a fresh version of the project. Also take a look at this post and be sure your directory structure, etc. is correct.
http://www.codeplex.com/dropthings/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=30307

Also try the GAC entry after getting a fresh version.

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:46 AM
Thanks merlinr, but it didnt helped at all, i still get this error.
Aug 11, 2008 at 11:01 AM
Haven't fixed yet? Can you try to look for "web.config" file under App_Data folder? Mine I just delete it and presto, it run!

Hope this helps.

--Viccer
Oct 28, 2008 at 5:20 PM
Koitohay,
I hope you have gotten going by now, but if not give this a try.
I was getting the same error because I was trying to use the code as a "Website" in Visual Studio.
Everything worked fine when I started up Visual Studio using the solution (.sln) file.  Just be sure
to set the startup project to the Dropthings folder and the default start page to default.aspx...

Hope that helps...