Error when loading solution

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:49 PM
Edited Aug 27, 2008 at 5:50 PM
Hello when I try to load the solution Dropthings.sln into Web Developer Express edition 2008 I get the following error...

The project file 'c:\...DashboardBusiness\Dashboard.csproj' cannot be opened.

The project type is not supported by this installation.

When I try to browse in browser I get the following compilation error...

Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'DashboardBusiness' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Source Error:

Line 10: using System.Web.Script.Services;
Line 11:
Line 12: using DashboardBusiness;
Line 13:
Line 14: namespace Dropthings.Web.Framework

any advice would be greatly appreciated
Aug 27, 2008 at 6:26 PM
Edited Aug 27, 2008 at 8:52 PM
Hi Izoumas,

As explained in the user guide, there's a problem opening the dashboardbusiness project of dropthings with Web Express 2008.

I don't figure why now (no info on dropthings project website), but I think it's Workflow foundation that isn't supported, I'll search answers

Try to open it with visual studio 2008 (there's a trial version available)

regards,

antoine
Aug 27, 2008 at 6:51 PM
Antoine,

Thanks for the quick reply. You mentioned a user guide in your response. I am having a hard time finding it.
Aug 27, 2008 at 9:25 PM
Edited Aug 27, 2008 at 9:44 PM
oh sorry, I thought you posted this on my project thread, I use dropthings as the web portal engine and receive alert from the discussion forum of dropthings :)

To answer you I don't know yet how to get rid of this problem, I think the easiest way is to supress the dataccess project from visual web express, and add reference to the dll already build.

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:38 PM
Could you be more clear on how you get this error ? what do you mean by 'When I try to browse in browser I get the following compilation error...' ?

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:47 AM
I'm having the exact same problem as Izoumas!! When I first loaded the DropThings.sln file, the visual web developer 08 express edition won't recognize and load the DashBoardBusiness.csproj so when I try to compile, any source code line with DashBoardBusiness, compilation error CS0246 comes out.

Izoumas, if you by any chance fixed the problem....please please let me know.
Aug 30, 2008 at 10:36 AM
hi i get error when running this drop things source. i get mesasge as " unable to launch ASP.Net Development server. Port '8000' is in use ". What should be done to rectify this issue. Please help me out as 'm very much in need of this now..
Aug 30, 2008 at 11:50 AM
Hi,

Yes, I was able to fix this problem. Although I'm not sure if it's ideal, it works. just a note... you will get a couple of untrusted messages. just say yes and you should be able to open the project...

Right click on the dropthings.sln file and open in text editor

You need to remove the ProjectType element that has a GUID - its usually the
first entry under the first PropertyGroup.

http://www.devnewsgroups.net/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework/topic49512.aspx

That article also mentions some other ways to fix the problem, but it's 2 years old, but doing the above should work. I did it and the app runs like a champ.

Hope this helps!

Lee
Sep 1, 2008 at 12:10 AM
Hey Lee, thanks for responding so quickly. Still having same problems despite fidgeting with the Dropthing.sln file. I'm pretty new to programming so I've been doing trial and error coding and failed miserably. I don't know which one is the Project "Type element". I'm assuming the first PropertyGroup is:

Project("{E24C65DC-7377-472B-9ABA-BC803B73C61A}") = "Dropthings", "Dropthings\", "{0442AC35-B5A2-464A-8C85-0AD3DF6A252F}"
    ProjectSection(WebsiteProperties) = preProject
        SccProjectName = ""
        SccAuxPath = ""
        SccLocalPath = ""
        SccProvider = ""
        TargetFramework = "3.5"
        ProjectReferences = "{42190D98-86BA-44B5-8CFF-F62754029C61}|AJAXASMXHandler.dll;{2528E045-5DA5-45BC-9FF9-9741C3DCBE89}|CustomDragDrop.dll;{2FFE89D9-9C56-4CC4-9596-EDE26AAB6490}|DashboardBusiness.dll;{7464A2DC-FE3D-4798-9D26-4054DE8AF9B3}|DashboardDataAccess.dll;"
        Debug.AspNetCompiler.VirtualPath = "/Dropthings"
        Debug.AspNetCompiler.PhysicalPath = "Dropthings\"
        Debug.AspNetCompiler.TargetPath = "PrecompiledWeb\Dropthings\"
        Debug.AspNetCompiler.Updateable = "true"
        Debug.AspNetCompiler.ForceOverwrite = "true"
        Debug.AspNetCompiler.FixedNames = "false"
        Debug.AspNetCompiler.Debug = "True"
        Release.AspNetCompiler.VirtualPath = "/Dropthings"
        Release.AspNetCompiler.PhysicalPath = "Dropthings\"
        Release.AspNetCompiler.TargetPath = "PrecompiledWeb\Dropthings\"
        Release.AspNetCompiler.Updateable = "true"
        Release.AspNetCompiler.ForceOverwrite = "true"
        Release.AspNetCompiler.FixedNames = "false"
        Release.AspNetCompiler.Debug = "False"
        VWDPort = "8000"
        VWDDynamicPort = "false"
        VWDVirtualPath = "/"
        DefaultWebSiteLanguage = "Visual C#"
        StartServerOnDebug = "false"
    EndProjectSection
EndProject

Please ridicule me and show exactly what to erase/remove/replace or you can paste your solution file. Again thanks so much for your time.
Sep 2, 2008 at 2:29 PM
I'm sorry I mentioned the wrong file. The file you want to changes is \trunk\DashboardBusiness\DashboardBusiness.csproj

Remove the following line...

<ProjectTypeGuids>{14822709-B5A1-4724-98CA-57A101D1B079};{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}</ProjectTypeGuids>

... then the solution should build.

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:46 PM
Hi,

I am getting the same error. The solution you mention Izoumas solves the first one. However, I get a second one when opeing the solution:

C:\Dropthings-Srv-v1.7.0\Dropthings-Src\Dropthings\ cannot be opened because its project type () is not supported by this version of the application. To open it, please use a version that supports this type of project.

I have attempted to search in the Dropthings directory for a project file to remove the ProjectTypeGuids, but it contains no .csproj.

The build I have downloaded is 1.7.0. I am using the latest visual studio 2008 express edition (includes SP1) which I download today.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks,
Borja