Converting for Intranet

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:56 AM
Hi,
I am very new to .net.  I have found this project to be a great learning tool for myself. 

I am trying to customize dropthings to be the intranet page for my company.  I would like to accomplish the following:
  1. Have tabs for each department in the company.  These are predefined tabs that are not editable.  Even if you do have an account.
  2. Have a basic default page of only the widgets that I want the employees to see, and only allow the user to add widgets through the "add stuff" link.
  3. Let users login so that they can save the settings that they have made or the drag and drop changes that were made.

I am also trying to figure out where I edit the default set of widgets that appears on the main page for a first time user.  Where do I edit these?
Anyone have any suggestions for me?  Thanks!

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:50 AM
Hi,

I can't answer on your entire project (that's quite long), but here's some inputs :

If' you want to set a widget as a default widget, that's in the database (widget datable > IsDefault). Don't know if there are predefined tab in the database, but I think it is (there are a default user setting I think)

There's a "role based" access in the last development of dropthings that allow just what you want to do (ability or not to change page/settings). For that you need to read a little and discover the code by yourself.

I stronly encourage you to read the book of Omar "Building a web 2.0 Portal with ASP.NET 3.5" :  http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510503/ 

This is the basis if you want to learn how this kind of portal works, and You'll find many answers to your existing (and coming) questions

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM
Thanks for you input!

I discovered the widget table > IsDefault and changed it, but it did not do anything.  I will try it again and hopefully it will work.  Thaks again for you advice!