Designing custom widgets

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:13 PM
I have been searching for days on this topic:

How can you effectively create a new custom widget!?

I've copied the HTML widget in the project, renamed it, renamed the class in the code behind.  I've updated the database to include a row with the widget definition, and when I reload the page, the widget is in the "Add stuff" menu...

The problem arises when I try to add the widget to the page.  The widget just says "Widget Title" as the title of it, not what I put in the name field of the database.  Also, the widget has a minimize and maximize button concurrently, and furthermore, when I click the delete button, nothing happens.

This is highly frustrating, as I've gotten one other widget to work, but never with javascript and suddenly the widgets don't want to behave. 

What is the minimum requirement for a working widget?  What code is invoked when it is closed, so I know to include this....?

Also, when I try to deploy this to a server, I get the following error:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

This is deployed here:  http://start.listingmanager.com

Please help before I tear all of my hair out.