System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The server was not found or was not accessible.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:42 PM
What should my DashboardConnectionString be set to!?  Do I have to set up the database in some way?  I'm completely lost as to why this will not allow itself to be published to a live server.

Can SOMEONE please help me with this?!  Anyone.  Please.  Seriously.  Help.
Mar 24, 2009 at 6:16 PM
Yes you can have some help. But could you clarify your problem ? what is your error message ? what version of SQL do you use ? have you read the readme.txt ?
Mar 24, 2009 at 7:43 PM
Edited Mar 24, 2009 at 7:43 PM
The project is at http://start.listingmanager.com

You can see the error there.  This project seems to work ok locally (I say ok and not "fine" or "well" because my custom widgets never seem to work properly...) but it throws that error live.

I'm using SQL Server 2005 (Express) and VWD 2008 Express.... is that ok?  Do I have to actually compile this thing before I deploy it or will it work with VWD 2008 Express?

I'm totally lost as to how this thing works. 
Mar 24, 2009 at 7:52 PM
Ok, what version of dropthings did you use ?

Yes,  you need to build the solution if you use source code and above all publish it in order to use it properly outside VWD 2008. Did you modify the dashboardbusiness project in order to compile properly in VWD 2008 ? 

Actually on my side the last release + sql server 2008 express works pretty good without much configuration (you need to modify some css settings in web.config and that's it. Maybe if you're too lost with asp.NET/SQL, getting Omar books will helps you greatly in understanding dropthings. I highly recommend it to you.

Why don't you use sql express 2008 ?

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:09 PM
I'm using the version from the "Releases" page above, not the source code.  Can I use this version with VWD? 

Yes, I got the dashboardbusiness thing working... after much trouble.  That alone was frustrating.

Why is there NO DOCUMENTATION on this anywhere to be found!?

I don't know why we don't use SQL Express 2008... what's the difference?  I don't think our server is set up for that...  I think it's set up for SQL Server, the real version, not an express version.  If that is the case what do I do to get this working?
Mar 24, 2009 at 8:10 PM
As far as I know, VWD Express doesn't allow you to compile or publish anything....
Mar 24, 2009 at 8:16 PM
Ok, I found the readme.txt... I knew I had read this before but couldn't find it again until I went back to the Releases page.  I'll try following these instructions, but what does "1) Attach the \Dropthings\App_Data\Dropthings.mdf file." mean?

Thanks
Mar 24, 2009 at 8:54 PM
>I'm using the version from the "Releases" page above, not the source code.  Can I use this version with VWD?  

Yes.

>Yes, I got the dashboardbusiness thing working... after much trouble.  That alone was frustrating.

There's several post in the forum that gives already the answer. Search for "web express 2008" leads you to the right post : http://dropthings.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=34395

> Why is there NO DOCUMENTATION on this anywhere to be found!?

But I think there is ! there is a lot of informations in this forum. As every evolving solution (and we speaks about open source and free products!), the best way to find answer is often to just post a question if you can't find it somewhere else.  Also, there's a great book from Omar that even explains how Dropthings was builded with a lot of interesting things. There's a link on the same page. It's worth the price in my opinion, if you want to understantd how it works.

>I don't know why we don't use SQL Express 2008... what's the difference?  I don't think our server is set up for that...  I think it's set up for SQL Server, the real version, not an express version.  If that is the case what do I do to get this working?

The main point is : are you sure you're using an sql Express ? there's different connection strings in the web.config (one for sql 2005, the other for 2005/2008 Express version). You also needs to modify the css settings in the beginning of the web.config with your server name/IP address)

For me you may have a problem in your sql configuration (is user "E549490-103731\IWPD_31(start)" your sql service account ? you also may have a problem in your IIS configuration (good anonymous access or app pool account.. ?)

I use sql express 2008, and I don't need to attach anything : this works like this, with the proper IIS install and web.config customization.

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:57 PM
Pilosite, thanks for your help.  It is the end of my work day so I'll get back to you tomorrow with answers and probably more questions.  Thanks again, have a great night!
Mar 24, 2009 at 8:58 PM
You're welcome. Feel free to ask.