Bugs... Bugs... Bugs.. When will they get fixed?

May 29, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Is there anyone attempting to fix all of the bugs when using IE7+? The bugs have been known for quite some time now. Looking at the Issue Tracker, it seems nobody is responding or working on fixing the bugs.

I may be missing something... is there a list of known bugs and the priority on fixing them?

With IE7+, you simply cannot use the sample Dropthings site without running into errors. Why would anyone download the code and try to use it when the sample site does not work properly?
If you play with the widgets and options long enough you are bound to run into errors and things that just do not work properly.

This makes it seem that the code is unprofessional and full of bugs.
Since the Dropthings sample site does not work correctly, it shows that the code is not ready for production web sites.

Resize - changin the height gets a options.handles null or not an object error.
Move to top function - once the widget is moved to the top, it cannot be placed back into the columns.
Digg widget causes unwanted drop and then Edit/Close quits working - drag widget across the Digg and something with the Digg widget (auto-highlight?) causes a drop without releasing the mouse. Then, try and edit and close the edit - errors occur.

Title - if you edit a Widget Title and hit OK with it balnk, there is no Title and you cannot get back to edit so you can enter one. When switching to the edit, the focus does not get set to the control, so you have to click in it to edit the title.

The sample site has many more issues.... lets take a tour using IE 7.0.5730.13:

Close all widgets on the main page and refresh the browser to get a clean start.
Click "Change Settings..."
Click on the second layout - skinny column, wide column
Click on "Add Stuff"
Click on "How To of the Day"
Click on the Widget's title bar and drag it to the second (right) column and drop it
Now, try to drar it back and drop it into the left column.... it cannot be done,
Click on the "Sports" item in the Add Stuff list... it adds OK even though it says it is "Temoprarily Unavailable".. no problem.
However, you still cannot drag the "How to..." into the first column.
You can drag "Sprots" into the right column...
OK, the layout is not working. It must be due to the first drag and drop.
Refresh the entire site.
Hey... you can drag and drop into the first column now. The layout is working.

OK, start over. Select the 3 column layout. Add two widgets. drop them to the right columns so there is nothing in the left column. Now, you cannot drag either back to the first column.
You cannot drop back to the first column even if you start with 3 Widgets and only drag two out... you cannot drop them back in.

Granted, this behaviour is probably due to bugs in the JQuery-UI code. It may seem trivial, but you cannot have a web site that acts like that.

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I agree...

I love the idea of Drop Things but it is not possible to use in any form.  I have posted many of the issues that dw has and there has been no response.  No one seems to be looking into any of the posted issues.  This suggest that Drop Things has been abandoned or is an orphan project.  This is too bad because it is a great concept!

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:29 PM

http://code.google.com/p/dropthings/

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:24 PM

I am not sure what the purpose of that link is...

And... I bought the book a few months ago.  It is a good book but I wrongly assumed that the architecture was a little more polished.  I realize that 2.1 is in beta but the core functionality listed above is not even working out of the box.  It is much more at a pre-alpha level.

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:34 PM

The purpose of this link is to tell that the development of dropthings and issue tracking is now on google code.

For the stability of the code, you may try a previous version (1.X ) if you don't like the current development. there are major changes in 2.X version and all isn't yet as polished as it will be. Version corresponding to the book is indeed functionnal.

Note that you can also contribute to the code if you can ! ;) this is the purpose of open source development.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:09 PM

I have downloaded the new version of dropthings version 2.3 (http://code.google.com/p/dropthings/downloads/list) and have not noticed any changes.  Most of not all bugs listed above are still present.  There are no release notes anywhere so I am not sure what items were addressed with this new version.

Has anyone seen any changes?

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Kers7754, I believe this is the page you're looking for that contains the latest releases changes:

http://code.google.com/p/dropthings/source/list