How to create role based layout

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:56 AM

Hello, I'm using the latest version of Dropthings and have read the articles and documentation. I know how to create a default layout for new registered users...that's easy enough. However, this is based on a default registered user account in the web.config file. How does one create a default layout based on a role? I'm building an application that will have an admin tab with several administrative widgets. I have created an administrative role and have added the widgets to that tab. Each widget is restricted to the role "Admin".  However, when I logon as registered user, the tab and widgets are visible to the user on the page....they just can't add another instance because they are not in the "Admin" role. Is there any way to set up a default layout for registered users where the tabs containing the admin restriced widgets are not visible to those not in this role? I can easily hide the contents of the Admin widgets through code in the widget itself, but thats sort of a cheesy solution. In order for this to be a truly scalable product, there must be a better method of security trimming. I'm not flaming the product, I think its great....its always easy to be critical of someone else's work and I'm not saying that I could have done better. However, it doesn't quite meet my requirement as is, and I could use a little help. I have extensive experience with SharePoint and Community Server but this is a whole different ball game.

Jul 6, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I have nothing to contribute to your issue, but do have some tips on how to get a reply: don't be so condescending! Despite claiming that you're not being too critical, describing this as less than a 'truly scalable product.'